During the opening of the Pokémon World Championships, the President of Pokémon (Tsunekazu Ishihara), and Junichi Masuda, revealed new information about Pokémon Sword and Shield. The official website for the games added further information. They are as follows:
- Galarian Weezing gains the Ability Neutralizing Gas. It prevents any other Ability, e.g. Levitate or Storm Drain, from taking effect while it is in play.
- A new Held Item Room Service lowers the user’s Speed when Trick Room is used.
- A new Held Item Eject Pack switches out the Pokémon if its stats are lowered – including attacks made by itself.
- A new attack Breaking Swipe lowers the Attack of all Pokémon hit.
- Corviknight’s Hidden Ability is Mirror Armor, which reflects any stat-lowering effects.
- Hidden Abilities are available from Pokémon caught in Max Raids.
- Max Attacks from Dynamax Pokémon will have additional effects. The Fighting-type Max Attack Max Knuckle will increase the Attack of the user and all its allies. Ice-type Max Attacks can cause Hail, Max Geyser will cause rain, and so forth.
- Regular Pokémon will still take damage from Max Attacks if they use moves like Protect. A Dynamaxed Protect however (‘Max Guard’ which occurs when a Dynamax Pokémon used a Status attack) will successfully block a Max Attack.
- Ranked Battles will feature in Pokémon Sword and Shield. You can also rent Battle Teams for online battles, including those uploaded by other players.
What do you think of these new additions to Pokémon Sword and Shield? It’s been confirmed that the generation eight games will be used for the next season of VGC.
Meanwhile, the next ‘evolution’ of the Pokémon Trading Card Game was announced: Pokémon V. Special V cards will be released, which will feature the likes of Legendary Pokémon Zacian and Zamazenta, with more to be revealed later.
Edited by Sheep.