The EX Raid feature, introduced some months ago by Niantic in Pokémon GO as the sole way for players to have a chance at catching the famous Legendary Mewtwo, has struggled for popularity. It’s easy to see why: players have to:
- win the “lottery” in being selected to attend an EX Raid which can only be improved (not guaranteed!) by doing a lot of Raids,
- have the Raid location be located near where they will be on the day,
- be lucky in the time of the EX Raid to not coincide with work/school or other events,
- have the same happen for a substantial group of interested players (as one cannot take down Mewtwo by themselves), and
- actually catch Mewtwo, who only has a 6% catch rate for a limited number of Premier Balls (around 10 per player is typically awarded).
The newest wave of EX Raids has strangely been scheduled for Christmas. Most people tend to visit family and friends during this holiday, and so it’s unlikely many players would be able to attend a Raid battle. This decision is frankly baffling for many players.
What are your thoughts on this wave of EX Raid passes, and EX Raids in general?
Thanks to Forever for the tip.