The official Pokemon website has given us some new details on the upcoming mobile phone game, Pokémon Go.
The breakdown of these new details are as follows:
- As you walk around with your smartphone, it will vibrate to let you know when you are near a Pokémon.
- Upon encountering it, you can throw a Poké Ball to catch it before it can run away.
- You can also obtain Pokémon by evolving Pokémon you have caught multiples of, or by hatching Pokémon Eggs you can obtain.
- You can collect Poké Balls, Pokémon Eggs and other items at ‘PokéSpots’, set at historical sites or monuments in the real world.
- You gain levels as a Trainer. The higher your level, the more powerful Pokémon you will be able to catch and the better items you will be able to obtain.
- You raise your level by encountering Pokémon and exploring.
- Certain wild Pokémon only appear in certain places around the world, e.g. some Water types may only appear near lakes and oceans.
- Once you reach a certain point in the game, you’ll be able to join one of three teams. Doing so grants you the ability to assign Pokémon you have caught to empty Gym locations, or Gym locations set up by people on your team in the real world.
- Each player can only set one Pokémon at each Gym.
- If you find a Gym belonging to another team, you can challenge them using your own Pokémon in battle. If you win you can claim control.
- Challenges will be included as well, tied to an achievement system. You can gain medals for your player profile.
- The Pokémon Go Plus is the name of the portable device. It connects to a smartphone via Bluetooth and notifies the player about events in the game—such as the appearance of a Pokémon nearby—using an LED and vibration. In addition, players can catch Pokémon or perform other simple actions by pressing the button on the device.
That’s a fair bit more information than what we last received, and rather similar in many regards to the other game made by Niantic Systems, Ingress. What are your thoughts on the news about Pokémon Go?