PokéCommunity Daily is hiring! We’re looking for dedicated individuals to join the Daily writing teams. Note that you do not have to join the Daily team to write articles for Daily — but you do get a whole bunch of perks! See the frequently asked questions for more.
How the Daily team works
PokéCommunity Daily is managed by its editor-in-chief, Hiroshi Sotomura (Jake), and associate editor, bobandbill. The management oversees the quality, writing teams, and processes for Daily.
Lead writers and columnists are in charge of the articles that run in their columns and sections. Lead writers and columnists will approve ideas, make suggestions to and sign off article drafts to publish onto PokéCommunity Daily.
Writers will write articles for Daily at least once every two weeks (these requirements are flexible). They submit article ideas the same as any non-Daily staff or through the Daily staff forum. They can also directly submit articles into the editor workshop for editing and scrutiny. Once approved, they may directly publish their articles to Daily.
PokéCommunity Daily staff are responsible for writing and editing articles. All writers and lead writers may suggest edits to be made to articles submitted through the Daily writing process.
Applications are open from March 2, 2016 to March 31, 2016. We select applicants for positions based on a variety of metrics, including:
- Contributions to Daily
- Professional qualifications
- Article-writing experience on other websites
The Daily editors and the lead writers for the section being applied for will assess each application. While most applications will be considered after March 31, applicants may be considered prior to this date and given an offer prior.
Successful applicants will be given a month to trial their position.
To apply for a position, check out the positions below and apply using this form.
The Daily team are looking for:
- Headline writers. Writers will keep track of Pokémon news and post these articles directly to Daily. These posts are exempted from the Writer’s Workshop process. News posts must be overseen by an Editor or the relevant sectional editor.
- Writer positions. These will be under direct supervision of lead editors. All writers are expected to write at least one to two articles every two weeks.
- ROM Hacking column writer — as a ROM hacking writer, you collaborate with the ROM hacking column editor, Christos.
- Pokémon Gaming writers — your focus is to write content surrounding the games — be it new games like Sun and Moon or old games. You may speculate on things like new features, talk about old features, write comparisons for the games, gather opinions, etc.
- Pokémon Animé writers. You can’t stop talking about the anime, can you? Write about the Pokémon anime. Writers in this team talk about the anime in general, character development, give your own opinions or gather those of others, make predictions, speculate, etc.
- General Pokémon writers. You focus on the more general Pokemon content, towns and cities, “Blaine’s facts,” ‘Martha’s Musings,” “Who’s that Pokémon?” etc.
- Competitive Battling writers. You work with others to talk about strategies. Get the goss. Talk about the big changes to the metagame. Talk about other, more interesting metagames. Prove Garchomp is an overpowered battler.
- “From The Community” column writer. As a column writer, you provide the content by checking the web and negotiating with fanwork authors/artists for content to display on Daily. You interview well-known Pokémon fans or content contributors. You may choose to write about this content or provide it to the ROM Hacking, Gaming, Anime or General writing teams.
- Press negotiators — America, Europe, Japan, Australia, and other relevant territories. These staff members are in charge with negotiating with Nintendo or The Pokémon Company, or other relevant entities, at press conferences (where accepted) or events (like tournaments), and provide reports on that information in which Daily staff may create articles for. This position is for expression of interest for now.
- Artist. 1-2 positions available. You’ll design or draw the graphics for non-breaking news articles and longform articles. You’ll be in partly of the overall design of an article (particularly longform articles) and work on feature images for most articles.
We are not currently taking applications for lead writers at this time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a position to write for Daily?
No; anyone is able to contribute articles for Daily. The positions for Daily provide you with a staff rank and access to our forum. It allows you to work with the Daily team at an official capacity, working directly with the editors to create articles.
What do I get with a position?
By joining the Daily team, you will be given a staff rank and access to our Daily staff forums, complete with username colour and rank image, as well as other PokéCommunity staff perks, including access to the VIP forums and a staff-exclusive chat forum.
Do I need a PokéCommunity Account to write for Daily?
Registration at The PokéCommunity is required for all Daily staff. If you don’t have a PokéCommunity Account right now, you’ll be required to create one if you get a position.
Will I be compensated for writing articles?
All contributors to PokéCommunity Daily do so on a voluntary basis. Daily Staff are not compensated for their positions. There are long-term plans to allow any article writers (not just Daily Staff) to get a share of revenues gained, but this is to be decided on at a later date.
Fill in this form to apply for PokéCommunity Daily. The details filled in here will only be used for the application process.[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]